Calgary Canucks, 6 SO, Whitecourt Wolverines, 5

In the inaugural game between the Calgary Canucks and Whitecourt Wolverines, the two teams staged a classic.

Derek Thorogood scored 3 goals for the Canucks and the shootout winning goal to extend the Canucks winning streak to 3 games.

Both teams had early chances to score in the first period. It was the Canucks Kirvby Ruzesky starting the scoring parade at 5:51 of the first period. He shot the puck from a shap angle, and the shot eluded Wolverine goaltender Tanner Kovacs even though the shot was weak.

Kovacs allowed another questionable goal 1:52 later at 7:43 of the first period, when Derek Thorogood unleashed a backhand shot that went right through Kovacs. 2-0 Canucks.

The Wolverines drew within a goal 1:47 later when Matthieu Guertin drilled a wristshot past Canucks goaltender at 9:30 of the first period.

However one minute later, Derek Thorogood stole the puck in the offensive end and scored a beautiful breakaway goal to lift the Canucks to a 3-1 lead. At 10:30 of the first period the score of the game was 3-1 for Calgary.

Thorogood completed the hat trick 2:13 later on the Powerplay at 12:43 of the first period.

At the end of the first period the Canucks had a 4-1 lead and an 17-13 shots advantage.

Momentum shifted to the Wolverines from that point on though.

The Wolverines came out with a lot of energy in the second period, hitting any Canuck in sight and firing shots from all angles.

The Wolverine's strong start paid off at 4:10 of the second period when Ty Morgan tipped the puck past Colin Cooper to make the game 4-2.

2:57 later on the Powerplay the Wolverines struck again with Jerome Raymond blowing the puck into a wide open net with Cooper out of position. At 7:07 of the second period the Canucks lead dwindled down to 4-3.

The Canucks however, on a powerplay of its own restored the lead to two goals at 7:42 of the second period. Gui Glasspoole buried the puck into the open net.

That did not faze the Wolverines though as they dominated the last half of the period,with multiple close misses near the Canucks net. The Wolverins outshot the Canucks 16-9 in the second period.

The momentum carried over into the third period for the Wolverines. Colton Meaver buried a shot through the legs of Colin Cooper to make the game 5-4.

The Wolverines chance to tie the game at 6:40 of the third period when Matthew Plesa took a 4 minute spearing penalty. The Wolverines took advantage at 8:39 of the third period with Mattieu Guertin finishing of a passing play in front of the net to make the game 5-5.

The Wolverines has the Canucks on its heels for the rest of regulation time but the game remained 5-5 at the end of the third period.

The Canucks seized momentum back in the five-minute sudden death overtime portion of the game. Derek Thorogood drew a penalty and on the powerplay, the Canucks had multiple chances to tie the game but the puck stayed out of the net.

The game went to a shootout.

Up first for the Wolverines was Colton Meaver, he made a move to the backhand and let a shot go that went wide.

Derek Thorogood was up for the Canucks. He made no mistake and he deked out Tanner Kovacs to stake the Canucks to a 1-0 lead in the shootout.

Mattheu Guertin had a chance to tie the game for the Canucks but his direct shot was stopped by Colin Cooper.

Travis Wellman sealed the deal with the second goal of the shootout to win the game for the Canucks.

The Canucks record improved to 12-11-1 while the Wolverines record dropped to 11-5-7.

The Canucks are in action on Tuesday night in Canmore at 7 PM.