Canucks Move Within 2 Points of Second Place

Canucks Fall to the Crusaders

Friday night the Canucks were in Sherwood Park for a battle against the Sherwood Park Crusaders. The Canucks were first on the board as #9 Ben Assad scored on the power play with help from #28 Brett Van Os and #23 Mark Drohan to take a 1-0 lead. The Crusaders were quick to respond scoring just 22 seconds later with a goal from #27 Merritt Oszytko. After 20 minutes of play the game was tied 1-1 with the Canucks leading shots 9-7.

In the second the Crusaders broke the tie as #24 Cameron Reagan took advantage of the power play to make it 2-1 Crusaders. At the end of the period the Crusaders were leading across the board holding onto a 2-1 lead and outshooting the Canucks 19-13.

With an early goal to start the third #18 Brendan Stafford extended the Crusaders lead to 3-1. In a late push the Canucks pulled their goaltender for the extra attacker. Things worked out as #19 Parker Ward put one in the back of the net to bring the game within one scoring with just over 3 minutes left in the period. Assists on the goal went to #8 Dylan Williamson and #27 Jordan McConnell. Once again the Canucks put out the extra attacker in attempt to tie the game, however the Crusader gained control of the puck and #26 Ty Readman scored on the empty net. Unable to complete the comeback the Crusaders took the game 4-2. Shots at the end of the game were 31-20 for the Crusaders.

#19 Parker Ward was selected as the game star.

Canucks head to Overtime against the Oil Barons

Saturday night the Canucks travelled further north to take on the Fort McMurray Oil Barons. With a 6-0 win against the Oil Barons before Christmas the Canucks were hoping for a similar outcome in this matchup.Just 21 seconds into the first period #20 Shane Fraser scored to give the Oil Barons a 1-0 lead. While the Canucks put on the pressure they were unable to tie the game. At the end of the period shots were 13-9 in favour of the Canucks.

In the second the Canucks pushed back. At 11:45 #7 Josh Gagne scored a power play goal for the Canucks to tie up the game with help from #12 Andrew Marshall.  With another power play goal #9 Ben Assad put one in the net from #4 Allan MacPherson to have a 2-1 lead. After 40 minutes of play the Canucks were leading 2-1 and were outshooting the Oil Barons 22-20.

To start the third the Oil Barons tied up the game with a goal by #26 Liam Izyk. The Canucks weren’t sitting back as #8 Dylan Williamson regained the lead for the Canucks after being set up by #17 Cale Chalifoux and #16 Brayden Brown. The Oil Barons responded quickly with a goal from #3 JC Thivierge. The Canucks were once again on the attack and found success as #18 Matt Painchaud put one in the net with help from #5 Coby Mack. The Oil Barons pushed back as #20 Shane Fraser found the net to tie the game 4-4. With nothing settled in regulation the game was headed to overtime. Shots at the end of the third were 35-32 for the Oil Barons.

In overtime things were back and forth for both teams with shots being 4-3 in favor of the Canucks. At 2:23 in overtime the Oil Barons took a penalty however the Canucks weren’t able to capitalize on the man advantage to end the game. With just 11 seconds left in overtime #17 Brandon Ralph scored for the Oil Barons. Final score was 5-4 for the Oil Barons.

The star of the game was awarded to #9 Ben Assad.

Up next the Canucks will host the Okotoks Oilers at Max Bell Centre this Wednesday, January 18 at 7:00 pm. Then the Canucks hit the road to take on the Brooks Bandits Saturday night before heading to Drumheller for a clash against the Dragons on Sunday.

Go Canucks Go!