Canucks Win Back to Back Games for Three Wins this Week!

Canucks Soar Over the Eagles

Tuesday Night the Canmore Eagles were in town to take on the Canucks for the third time this season. After falling to the Eagles in the first two match ups this season the Canucks were looking for a win this time around.

The Canucks opened the scoring at 3:38 of the first period when #22 Josh Giacomin put one in the net from #25 Braydon Jenkins and #19 Parker Ward.  #16 Brayden Brown extended the lead for the Canucks midway through the period with help from #6 Scott Nicholson and #8 Dylan Williamson.  The scoring continued for the Canucks as #24 Nic Herringer put one on the board after being set up by #21 Kyler Magus and #13 Connor Blake. Putting one past the Eagles goaltender #12 Andrew Marshall scored the Canucks fourth goal of the night. Assists on the goal went to #9 Ben Assad and #28 Brett Van Os.  After a dominant period by the Canucks, the Eagles scored their first of the night with just 4 seconds remaining in the period.  The Eagles first goal was scored by #10 Matt Forchuk. At the end of the first it was 4-1 Canucks with shots on net ending up at 15-10 for the Canucks.

To start the second period Eagles forward #23 Adam Tisdale scored to bring the game within two.   The Canucks weren’t planning on letting the Eagles close in on their lead as #8 Dylan Williamson scored just 12 seconds later to make it 5-2 Canucks.  Trying to get back in the game the Eagles scored a shorthanded marker at 8:07, the goal being scored by #10 Matt Forchuk. The Canucks responded quickly as #12 Andrew Marshall scored his second of the game on the power play to extend the Canucks lead to 6-3.  Assist on the goal went to #28 Brett Van Os and #4 Allan MacPherson. Before the period ended #25 Braydon Jenkins added another for the Canucks with help from  #22 Josh Giacomin and #19 Parker Ward. After 40 minutes of play the Canucks had a 7-3 lead and shots were 26-17 in favour of the Canucks.

The Eagles picked up pace in the third period but the Canucks were able to fend them off.  At 6:17 #9 Ben Assad scored an unassisted goal to make it 8-3 for the Canucks.  The Canucks took the win by a score of 8-3! Shots on net finished 29-26 for the Canucks.

With 2 goals in the game #12 Andrew Marshall was awards the game star for the Canucks.

The Canucks Beat the Saints 5-0

The Canucks faced off against the Spruce Grove Saints for the first time this season on Friday Night.

The first period started out with the Canucks on a penalty kill as Canucks #28 Brett Van Os went to the penalty box for cross-checking. Shortly after, the Canucks were faced with another penalty kill as #8 Dylan Williamson takes a two-minute penalty for tripping. After two successful penalty kills, the Canucks took the lead with a goal at 14:06 by #16 Brayden Brown, assisted by #21 Kyler Magus and #8 Dylan Williamson. The Saints #10 Eric Olson, took a turn in the penalty box for hooking. With a great start to the game by the Canucks, they took the first period 1-0.

The second period started out heavily in the Canucks favour as the Saints #4 Tanner Hickey took a penalty for holding. The Canucks #23 Mark Drohan took advantage of the power play by putting the puck past the Saints goalie at 18:45, assisted by #4 Allan MacPherson and #9 Ben Assad. The Canucks wrapped up the second period leading the Spruce Grove Saints 2-0.

The Canucks and Saints made the third period more interesting with a couple of fights to get things going.  #19 Parker Ward made quite the splash with his goal as he managed to knock the lid off the goaltender’s water bottle with the power of his shot.  The goal was assisted by #22 Josh Giacomin. The Canucks kept pushing forward with a goal by #9 Ben Assad, assisted by #28 Brett Van Os and #6 Scott Nicholson at 6:30 of the third period. Taking advantage of the power play #28 Brett Van Os danced around the Saints goaltender to put it past him at 12:06 of the third.  The Canucks waited for time to run out with a 5-0 lead over the Saints, with one last penalty kill on their plate as #13 Connor Blake went to the box for hooking. The Saints were looking for at least one goal in this game, but the Canucks wouldn’t allow it and took the win 5-0.

The star of the game for the Canucks was #30 Logan Drackett with his second shutout of the season.

The Canucks Crack the Thunder with a 4-1 Win

On Saturday the Canucks hosted the Drayton Valley Thunder for an evening matchup. With this being the first meeting between the two teams this season the Canucks were looking to make a statement before they see them again in February.

The Canucks opened the scoring at 14:57 of the first with a goal by #21 Kyler Magus, assists to Dylan Williamson and #16 Brayden Brown.  The Canucks held off the thunder for the rest of the period to have a 1-0 lead after 20 minutes of play. Shots after the first period were 10-8 in favour of the Thunder.

Early in the second period #16 Brayden Brown put one in the net to extend the Canucks lead to 2-0, with help from #8 Dylan Williamson.  Almost a minute later #25 Braydon Jenkins got one past the Thunders goaltender to make it 3-0.  Assists on the goal went to #19 Parker Ward and #22 Josh Giacomin.  Before the period ended #9 Tyler Smith put one on the board for the Thunder to make it 3-1.  Shots after the second period were 25-22 for the Thunder.

With the third underway the Thunder were looking to get back into the game, however, the Canucks were able to fend them off.  In an attempt to tie the game the Thunder pulled their goaltender for the extra attacker.  The Canucks capitalized on the play as #19 Parker Ward shot the puck down the ice and into the empty net.  The Canucks took the game 4-1!  At the end of the period both teams had 36 shots on net. 

#8 Dylan Williamson was named the star of the game with 2 points in the game.

The Canucks will be on the road for the next 2 weeks before returning home on December 14, 2016.  On Tuesday the Canucks will head up to Camrose to take on the Kodiaks for the fourth time this season. Then on Friday the Canucks will be visiting the Olds Grizzlys before travelling to back Camrose to take on the Kodiaks once again on Saturday.

Go Canucks Go!