Opening Weekend Recap ? Canucks Get 3 Points in First 2 Games

Big Win for Canucks Home Opener!

The first period of the Canucks home opener saw the first goal of the game go to the Olds Grizzlys at 16:27 scored by #10 Landon Gross. The Canucks went scoreless through the first period as the Grizzlys maintained their lead and wrapped up the first period 1-0. Shots on goal for the first period end 6-6 for both teams.

The second period got underway and at 5:16 into the period, Grizzlys #13 James Orban headed over to the penalty box for hooking. As the penalty expired, Orban got out of the penalty box in perfect timing to assist #22 Tyr Thompson in a goal for the Grizzlys at 7:22 in the period. The Canucks jumped in on the action with a goal at 12:27 into the second period, scored by #10 Michael Spenrath assisted by #19 Parker Ward and #21 Kyler Magus. The Canucks were able to tie up the game at 16:09 with a goal by #11 Dalton Ossman assisted by #2 Braxton Kane. The second period finished in a tie at 2-2. Canucks goalie Logan Drackett had saved 8 shots on net and Grizzlys goalie Ben Giesbrecht had saved 22.

As the third period began, the Canucks and Grizzlys battled to break the 2-2 tie. With a long battle throughout the period the Canucks took the lead at 18:08 with a goal by #4 Allan MacPherson and assisted by #11 Dalton Ossman. After a Canucks’ goal the Grizzlys decided to pull their goalie for a one man advantage that doesn’t work in their favour. Canucks move the score up to 4-2 with a goal by #12 Andrew Marshall, assisted by #18 Matthew Painchaud and #4 Allan MacPherson.  Canucks took the win against the Olds Grizzlys on home ice with a score of 4-2.  The Canucks goalie saved 14 shots on net and the Grizzlys goalie saved 33.

Player of the game for the Calgary Canucks was #4 Allan MacPherson and for the Olds Grizzlys was #31 Ben Giesbrecht.

Intense Battle in Olds Ends in Shoot Out.

Saturday the Canucks headed out of town for the second game against the Olds Grizzlys.  The Canucks were first to the board as #8 Ryan McKinnon put one past the Grizzlys goaltender early in the first period.  At 14:08 of the first #18 Matt Painchaud took advantage of a power play opportunity to extend the Canucks lead to 2-0 with help from #9 Ben Assad and #20 Austin Ehret. The first period finished with the Canucks leading across the board as shots were 14-4.

In the second period, the Canucks were able to maintain their lead as the score remained 2-0 after 40 minutes of play.  Things started to turn in the third period after a questionable goal was called in by the referee bringing the Grizzlys within 1. Less than 3 minutes later #9 James Gaume tied the game for Olds.  After the third the score remained tied at 2, shots were 29-18 in favour of the Canucks.

During OT neither team was able to capitalize, so the game was headed to a shootout. In the shootout #28 Brett Van Os was up first but was unable to get one in the net.  #11 Owen Guenter was up for Olds and was able to score. #11 Dalton Ossman for the Canucks and #22 Tyr Thompson for Olds were both unable to score so we were off to round 3. #18 Matt Painchaud was selected as the Canucks next shooter, but wasn’t able to get one past the Olds net minder.  The Grizzly won in the shootout 3-2. 

#9 Ben Assad was selected as the Canucks Game star.

Be sure to check out the Canucks next home game on Monday September 19th, 2016 where they will be taking on the Drumheller Dragons.  Game time is 7:00 pm at Max Bell Centre.