Blackfalds Bulldogs Bonnyville Pontiacs Brooks Bandits Calgary Canucks Camrose Kodiaks Canmore Eagles Drayton Valley Thunder Drumheller Dragons Fort McMurray Oil Barons Grande Prairie Storm Lloydminster Bobcats Okotoks Oilers Olds Grizzlys Sherwood Park Crusaders Spruce Grove Saints Whitecourt Wolverines

Pre-Season Recap

The Canucks finished their pre-season schedule on last Sunday, going 4-1 through 5 exhibition games. Throughout our exhibition games a number of players got to showcase their talents in hopes of cracking the Canucks lineup for the season opener.

The Canucks exhibition schedule started off with a game against our cross town rivals the Calgary Mustangs.  The Mustangs were first on the board scoring 2 minutes into the first period. The Canucks responded quickly to tie up the game.  At the end of the first the shots were 15-11 for the Mustangs.  Halfway through the second period the Canucks put one in the net to take a 2-1 lead.  The Mustangs were the next on the board scoring to tie up the game once again.  Late in the period the Mustangs scored to take the lead.  In the third the Mustangs extended their lead to 4-2 but the Canucks bounced back with a goal of their own to make it 4-3.  Things didn’t go the Canucks way as the Mustangs put another on the board to win the game 5-3.

Up next the Canucks took on the Mustangs once again but were looking to switch things up now that they were back on home ice.  Things were quiet throughout the first as neither team was able to get one past the goaltenders.  In the second, the Canucks were first to strike taking a 1-0 lead.  Things kept rolling for the Canucks as they added another 2 goals to have a 3-0 lead over the Mustangs after 40 minutes of play.  Taking advantage of a break away opportunity the Canucks extended their lead once again making it 4-0.  With just under 3:30 left in the game the Mustangs got their first goal of the game.  With time expiring the Canucks took the win 4-1!

Hitting the road the Canucks headed to Canmore for a battle against the Eagles.  At the end of the first period the Canucks had a 1-0 lead over the Eagles.  The Canucks kept the pressure up thoughout the second and were able to add another to the board.  That wasn’t it for the second as the Canucks extended their lead once again to take a 3-0 lead in the game.  Midway through the third the Canucks got another one past the Eagles netminder to take a 4-0 lead in the game. With the game coming to an end the Canucks won by a score of 4-0 and ended up out shooting the Eagles 41-26.

Ready for a Saturday night showdown against the Okotoks Oilers the Canucks hit the ice at the Scott Seaman Sports Rink.  Striking first the Canucks took the lead midway through the first period.  With 6 minutes remaining in the period the Oilers responded with a goal of their own to tie the game.  Just a minute later the Oilers were back on the board to take a 2-1 lead. The Canucks weren’t backing down though as they put one in the net to tie up the game once again.  The Canucks pulled ahead scoring another goal in the final minutes of the period to have a 3—2 lead.  Just 30 seconds into the second the Oilers once again tied up the game.  The Oilers extended their lead as they capitalized on the power play to make it 4-3, and got another halfway through the period to make it 5-3.  The Canucks battled hard and scored to get back within one of the Oilers. With under a minute left in the period the Canucks put one in the net and the game was tied 5-5 heading into the third. In the third both teams added to the scoreboard with the Canucks taking the lead before the Oilers tied the game.  With the score 6-6 at the end of the third, the game was headed to OT.  Nothing was settled in the 5 minute overtime so the game went to a shootout.  After a back and forth shootout the Canucks were able to get one past the Okotoks goaltender followed by a save from the Canucks netminder to win the game 7-6!

Back in action the following day the Canucks were set to face off against the Canmore Eagles for the second time in the pre-season. The Canucks were first on the board scoring on the power play to take a 1-0 lead.  Continuing to battle the Canucks added another to the board before the period ended to have a 2-0 lead at the end of the first.  In the second the Canucks once again extended their lead as they shot one into the back of the net.  Early in the third the Canucks added another to have a 4-0 lead.  Mid-way through the period the Eagles made it 4-1 but the Canucks bounced back to make it 5-1.  The Eagles got the next goal to make it 5-2, but the Canucks were able to keep the Eagles at bay the rest of the period to take the 5-2 win!

With another pre-season wrapped up the Canucks are looking to build off their strong start when they kick off the regular season at our season opener on Sunday, September 17th at 2:30pm against the Old Grizzlys.