Weekend Recap Sep 26 & 27

The Calgary Canucks Junior 'A' Hockey Club started off the weekend with a 4:1 win vs. the Olds Grizzlys on Saturday night. The scoring did not start until the half way point of the game when Michael Clarke scored in the powerplay to put the Canucks ahead 1:0 at 10:52 in the 2nd. Only 14 seconds (!) later, the Canucks scored again when Dalton Ossman put the puck in the net to make it 2:0 at 11:06 in the 2nd. These two goals were the only goals scored in the first 40 minutes, which the Canucks dominated. After the intermission, the Grizzlys were able to cut the lead into half. Olsen scored at 5:02 in the 3rd to put Olds back within one. Despite being scored on, the Canucks kept the upper hand. It was Kyler Magus who restored the two goal lead when he scored at 10:16 in the 3rd to make it 3:1. The team kept up the hard work for the remainder of the 3rd period. Zach McNeill scored at 17:00 in the 3rd to make it 4:1 for the Canucks. This goal was the last goal of the game and set the final score of 4:1 in a game which was dominated by the Canucks. The player of the game for the Calgary Canucks was Zach McNeill, who got a goal and an assist to finish the night with a total of 2 points.

With a win on the road Saturday night, the Canucks were looking to use the momentum and pick up where they left of in Olds when they squared off with the Camrose Kodiaks on Sunday night at home. The game did not start in the Canucks' favour. The team received a minor penalty early in the game. The Kodiaks used the following powerplay as Motley put the visitors ahead 1:0 at 2:06 in the 1st. The Canucks recovered from the early set-back and kept pushing for the equalizer. It was Zach McNeill who scored late in the 1st on the powerplay to tie the game 1:1 at 14:35 in the 1st. 1:1 was the score after a hard fought 1st period. The 2nd period started like the 1st ended, the two teams left no room for errors. It wasn't until 12:34 in the 2nd when Andrew Marshall scored on the powerplay to put the Canucks in front 2:1. The Kodiaks were able to tie the game in the 2nd. Gotaas scored at 18:19 to make it 2:2. The Canucks' answer did not wait long, Clarke put the team back in front at 19:16 to make it 3:2 for the Canucks, which was the final score of the second period. The game was intensly fought and the first two periods promised an exciting 3rd period. After the break, the Kodiaks used a powerplay to equalize the game. Scott scored at 7:18 in the 3rd to make it 3:3. Shortly after, Kodiaks' Gadoury put the visitors in the lead when he scored to make it 4:3 at 9:16 in the 3rd. The Canucks were not willing to let this be the end and battled hard for the equalizer. The team pulled the goalie to make one last push to tie it up. The Kodiaks used the chance and got the empty net goal to put the game out of reach for the Canucks. Younghans scored at 19:48 in the 3rd to set the final score at 5:3 for the Camrose Kodiaks. 

The Calgary Canucks battled hard in both games and they will be back at the Max Bell Centre on Wednesday, September 30, when they host the Okotoks Oilers. Puck Drop is at 7:00 PM.