Weekly Recap: November 6 – November 12

Tuesday night the Canucks hit the ice against the Brooks Bandits for the first time this season.  In the first period #24 Hayden Ursulak gave the Canucks the first goal of the game scoring a unassisted short-handed goal.  The period would end with the Canucks holding a 1-0 lead and shots even at 10 apiece. In the second the Bandits regained the lead scoring 2 goals in 30 seconds, one coming on the power play.  The Bandits goals were scored by #20 Matt Cassidy and #7 Simon Boyko. After 40 minutes the score was 2-1 Bandits.  To open the third the Bandits scored another power play goal courtesy of #18 Nic Hamre.  The Canucks moved back within one as #8 Dylan Williamson put one in the back of the net from #22 Josh Giacomin and #23 Mark Drohan.  Unfortunately, the Bandits scored midway through the period on the power play to take a 4-2 lead from #2 Carter Wolski. #6 Cale List made it 5-2 Bandits with 9:19 left in the period.  With the Canucks unable to comeback the Bandits took the game 5-2.  Click here to check out the hightlights from the game. 

The Canucks then travelled up north on Friday for a match up against the Fort McMurray Oil Baron.  This was the second meeting between the two teams this season with the first coming during the AJHL showcase.  The Oil Barons were first on the board as #15 Reed Morison scored at 8:42 of the first. In the second period the Oil Barons extended their lead to 2-0 as #21 Jack Hamly scored on the power play.  Though the Canucks outshot the Oil Barons 14-6 in the second period the Oil Barons held onto a 2-0 lead.  #21 Jack Hamly made it 3-0 Oil Barons at 7:41 of the third period.  Looking to make a dent in the Oil Barons lead the Canucks battled back as #18 Blake Stevenson put one in the net from #13 Cooper Johnson and #6 Scott Nicholson. Time ran out before the Canucks were able to tie up the game. The Oil Barons won 3-1. Final Shots were 41-26 Canucks.

The following night the Canucks were in Spruce Grove for a battle against the Saints.  In an evenly matched first period things remained scoreless after the first with shots tied at 10.   In the second the Saints broke the tie as #27 Garan Magnes scored on the power play.  With the second coming to a close the Saints held onto their 1-0 lead.  After two solid periods of play by the Canucks things took a turn in the third as the Saints scored 6 goals to take a 7-0 lead.  Things would finish off with the Canucks unable to get on the board.

Up next, the Canucks will face off against the Olds Grizzlys at 5:00pm on Saturday, November 18 at Max Bell Centre.  Then the Canucks will be taking over Strathmore on Sunday for a match up against the Okotoks Oilers at 2:30pm at the Strathmore Family Centre.

Go Canucks Go!