Weekly Recap: January 22 ? January 28

Tuesday the Canucks were set to face off against their cross town rivals in a critical south division match up.  The Canucks had a rough start to the game as the Mustangs #2 Nathan Walker scored on the power play just 2:27 into the period.  The Mustangs extended their lead to 2-0 when #13 Brady Barclay put one into the net on a 5-on-3 opportunity.  #18 Daniel Rybarik made it 3-0 Mustangs with just 2:33 remaining in the first period.  The Canucks wouldn’t end the period scoreless though, #19 Zach Russell would backhand one into the net on the penalty kill from #28 Chad Varney to make it 3-1.  The Canucks turned things up in the second period as #7 Michael Clarke up one top shelf to move the Canucks within one off a pass from #8 Jaxon Steele and #23 Mark Drohan.   #22 Josh Gicaomin would even things up ater firing one into the back of the net.  Assist on the goal went to #28 Chad Varney. The Mustangs would respond quickly with a goal from #18 Daniel Rybarik.  The third would end with the Mustangs holding a 4-3 lead over the Canucks.  With things on the line the Canucks would come out with a bang in the third.  At 1:50 of the period #22 Josh Giacomin scored his second of the game to tie up the game once again from #4 Kyler Newman and #23 Mark Drohan.  Just 23 second later the Canucks would take the lead as #19 Zach Russell put one into the back of the net with an assist from #24 Hayden Ursulak and #27 Jordan McConnell.  The Mustangs came back to tie the game 5-5 with a goal from #12 Chase Miller.  Going back and forth nothing would be settled in regulation time.  With a breakaway chance in OT #22 Josh Giacomin would score the game winner and get his hat trick.  #7 Michael Clarke and #2 Brody Medeiros would receive the assists. The Canucks would take the game 6-5 and slide into a tie for fourth place in the south division!

Friday the Canucks were on the road to face the Camrose Kodiaks. The Kodiaks took an early lead scoring at 1:28 of the first with a goal from #28 Jacob Kendall.  #22 Nic Correale put one into the net to make it 2-0 for the Kodiaks.  Mid-way through the period #39 McKenzie Welke scored to extend the Kodiaks lead to 3-0.  #19 Zach Russell would get the Canucks first goal of the night from #22 Josh Giacomin and #7 Michael Clarke to make it 3-1.  The Kodiaks would come right back to refain their three goal lead with a goal from #19 Matt Dykstra. After 20 minutes the Kodiaks would lead 4-1. To kick off the second #19 Matt Dysktra scored his second of the night to make it 5-1 Kodiaks.  #18 Kyler Kupka followed up with another goal for the Kodiaks a few minutes later. The Kodiaks would make it 7-1 with a goal from #7 Carson Welke at 12:34 of the second. Adding another to the board #18 Kyler Kupka make it 8-1 for the Kodiak. To kick off the third #19 Matt Dykstra scored to make it 9-1.  #7 Nick Mantai score to make it 10-1.  #39 mcKenzie Welke scored another to make it 11-1.  With 5:52 remaining on the third#23 Colson Gengenbach scored on the power play to make it 12-1. With 14 seconds left #17 Tyler Petrie scored from #16 Max Struss and #20 Michael Clarke. Final score was 12-2 Kodiaks

Sunday the Canucks travelled to Canmore to take on the Eagles.  #6 Scott Nicholson started things off for the Canucks scoring after being set up by #25 Zach Webb and #24 Hayden Ursulak. Then making the most of a breakaway opportunity #22 Josh Giacomin scored an unassisted short-handed goal to give the Canucks a 2-0 lead.  The period would end with the Canucks maintaining their two goal lead.  Late in the second #13 Cooper Johnson would put one in the slot to extend the Canucks lead to 3-0.  Assists on the goal went to #19 Zach Russell and #24 Hayden Ursulak.  The Eagles would get on the board themselves with a goal from #21Trevor Van Steinburg to make it 3-2 Canucks.  The period would end with the Canucks leading 3-1. With time running out the Canmore Eagles would put on some pressure to score with 1:19 left in the third to move within one of the Canucks.  Time would run out and the Canucks would come away with 2 points with a 3-2 win.

Up next, the Canucks will play back to back games to kick off February.  Friday February 2nd the Canucks will host the Drayton Valley Thunder. Then the Spruce Grove Saints will be in town Saturday night for another cross division matchup.

Go Canucks Go!